Chocolate Snowball Cookies
Begin 4 hours before serving or early
in the day
Makes 30 cookies
2 cups flour
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee powder
14 tablespoons (1 ¾ sticks) unsalted butter, room temp., cut into
1 large egg yolk
3oz. (1/2 cup) semisweet 65% finely chopped chocolate
5 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment
2) Place flour, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of the cocoa, and the coffee
powder in a food processor and process for 10 seconds
3) Scatter the butter over the flour mixture and process until the mixture
resembles course crumbs, 15 seconds.
4) While the machine is running, add the egg yolk. Pulse 15 times until
incorporated. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
5) Add the chopped chocolate and process 5 seconds more.
6) Measure out rounded teaspoons of the dough and roll into balls. Place
2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
7) It is important to cook only a couple in the very first batch, because
you bake the cookies until they are firm to the touch. (Varies 14-24
minutes depending on oven)
8) Meanwhile, sift the remaining ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
and the confectioners’ sugar together in a small bowl. Transfer
to a plastic bag.
9) Place 2 or 3 cookies at a time in the bag and shake gently to coat.
10) Enjoy! (You can freeze them, if you have any left to freeze!)